Beef with Broccoli…and Carrots, Zucchini and Peas
As usual, it was the middle of the week, I hadn’t been to the grocery store for days and we had a bunch of random left-overs in the fridge (white wine, steamed zucchini, carrots, broccoli, and a bit of steak). I love recipes that use left-overs! I often roast or steam extra veggies when I make a meal just so there will be some left-over for the next meal, or even just to snack on later. This recipe works great with freshly cooked ingredients, or freshly re-heated ingredients. *Paleo - if making this recipe paleo then skip the rice/rice noodles and serve on a bed of leafy greens
Makes: 2 servings
Preparation time: 15m
Cooking time: 15m
Total time: 30m
- 1 tablespoon umeboshi paste
- 1 tablespoon organic tamari
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound grass-fed beef steak (cooked)
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 servings rice or rice noodles (or leafy greens)
- grated fresh ginger (garnish)
- If making this with rice start that cooking first. If making this with rice noodles, cooke them last (see step 4). For rice, refer to the package for cooking instructions.
- In a small saucepan combine the umeboshi paste, tamari, white wine, and 1/4 cup vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer then add the steak.
- If the steak is raw then gently simmer on a very low heat while watching the water level. Add up to 1/4 cup more vegetable stock if needed. Continue until the steak is cooked through.
- If the steak is already cooked, add it to the warm sauce then turn off the heat.
- Slice the zucchini and carrots into roughly 1/4-inch half moons then add them to a large stock pot with the broccoli. Cover with boiling water and simmer on low for 10 minutes, or until desired tenderness is reached. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and place them in a large bowl.
- Bring the left-over vegetable water to a boil then add the rice noodles. Cook until softened. They cook very quickly so set a timer. See the package for the specific cooking instructions.
- In a large bowl combine the par-boiled veggies, the steak, the sauce from the steak pan, and the rice noodles. Toss until well combined.
- Divide into two dishes and garnish with fresh ginger.