Cheese-less Cheese Sauce
This cheese-less sauce is great for dipping veggies into, making nachos, or topping a baked potato. Also, it is vegan, cholesterol free and full of fiber and protein. If you cannot find an 8 ounce jar of roasted red peppers just use a larger jar and weigh out 6 ounces of drained peppers.
Makes: 2 1/2 cups
Preparation time: 10m
Cooking time: 10m
Total time: 10m
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (e.g. kosher salt)
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounce jar roasted red peppers (drained, this is 6 ounces of peppers)
- Put all of the ingredients into the blender and blend on high for 5-6 minutes until the sauce is smooth and starts to thicken. This recipe works best with a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, but if you have a less powerful blender you can still make it. It will not be as smooth though, and you'll need to reduce the amound of water slightly.
- If you find the sauce too thin just add more almonds and nutritional yeast until you reach the desired thickness. If you find it too thick just add more water.
- Use as you would any regular cheese sauce.
There are several similar cheese-less sauce recipes out there. This one was adapted from two others, the "Not-so cheese sauce" from the Vitamix cookbook and the INLINE-LINK-START href="http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2010/10/engine-2s-macaroni-not-cheese/" target="_blank">"Macaroni and Not Cheese" INLINE-LINK-END recipe from the Engine 2 diet. I found both of these recipes lacking in flavor and too many unnecessary steps so I came up with a simplified recipe with different ingredient ratios.