Garlic Roasted Roots & Spouts
This is a great fall/winter side dish, or vegan main course (smothered in my Cheese-less Cheese Sauce of course - see link at the bottom for the recipe). The mini potatoes used in this dish are golf-ball sized and should be about the same size as the Brussels Sprouts. If you can not get ahold of mini potatoes, then just use 2 medium-sized boiling potatoes i.e. Yukon gold potatoes, or red potatoes. If you would like to make this recipe Paleo or nightshade-free then use a rutabaga instead of potatoes.
Makes: 2 side dishes / 1 main course
Preparation time: 10m
Cooking time: 10m
Total time: 40m
- 10 Brussels sprouts
- 10 mini potatoes (Paleo/nightshade-free: use 1-2 rutabagas instead)
- 1 medium carrot
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (Engine 2: use vegetable stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (either crush it in your hand before adding or put through a spice grinder)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Equipment: large bowl, roasting dish/baking sheet
- Place the oven rack in the top third of the oven then preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC.
- Wash the sprouts, remove damaged outer leaves and trim the ends. Then slice the sprouts in half.
- Wash the mini potatoes then halve. (If using larger potatoes try to cut the pieces so that they are slightly smaller than the the halved sprouts. Same goes for the rutabaga).
- Peel and slice the carrot into 1/2-inch thick chunks.
- Roughly mince the garlic.
- Toss the sprouts, potatoes, carrots and garlic into a large bowl and drizzle with avocado oil.
- Sprinkle the rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper over the veggies. Mix well. Then pour the mixture into a roasting dish or onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes. Make sure to use a dish/baking sheet that is large enough to spread the veggies out in a single layer so they are able to roast properly and not steam.
- The veggies are ready when you can easily pierce a potato with a fork and the Brussels sprouts start to get crispy edges.
Recipe for INLINE-LINK-START title="Cheese-less Cheese Sauce" href="../cheese-less-cheese-sauce" target="_blank">Cheese-less Cheese Sauce INLINE-LINK-END