Ginger-Lime Black Bean Hummus
Black beans and garbanzo beans are rich in different vitamins and minerals making them great to pair together because they complement each other. Garbanzo’s are high in vitamin C, B6, zinc, copper and manganese. Meanwhile black beans are high in thiamin, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. This recipe requires either a powerful blender or a food processor. I use a Vitamix. Be very careful using a regular blender, you could burn out the motor. You could even try using a stick blender if you have one. You just need something that will sufficiently mash the beans.
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 5m
- 1 can black beans (drained but not rinsed, reserve the liquid)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (e.g. kosher salt)
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans (1/2 can, drained but not rinsed)
Equipment: Vitamix or food processor
- Pour black beans and 2 tablespoons of the can liquid to the Vitamix/food processor. Reserve the rest of the liquid, you might use it later. Each can of beans is a little different so you may need a little more liquid to get the right consistency.
- Add the garbanzo beans, lime juice, garlic, ginger and salt to the Vitamix/food processor, then puree on high until smooth.
- Test the mixture for consistency and taste it to see if it needs more salt. You want the consistency to be pretty thick but not so thick that you can not scoop it. Now is your chance to add more liquid if you think it needs it.
- Enjoy with sliced veggies like celery, zucchini, carrot or bell pepper.