Pea and Poultry Soup
Who wants to cook a big meal in the days after Thanksgiving or Christmas? Not me, that’s for sure. Luckily this quick recipe can be made with left-over holiday turkey, rotisserie chicken, or cooked chicken breasts. The only real prep here is chopping an onion and some garlic. That’s it. You just toss everything into a slow cooker, turn it on, go for a brisk fall hike and come home to a delicious, hearty warm stew.
Makes: 6 servings
Preparation time: 10m
Cooking time: 10m
Total time: 1h10m
- 1 pound split peas
- 1 pound frozen California vegetable mix (cauliflower, carrot, broccoli - no need to defrost first)
- 1 cipollini onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken (chopped)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Equipment: stockpot or slow-cooker
- Place all of the ingredients into a stock pot or slow-cooker.
- Stockpot: bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Slow cooker: high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- The soup is ready when the split peas are soft.
- Enjoy warm and freeze the left-overs for later.