I have adapted my American Pancakes recipe to have pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices in it! Yum! If my American Pancakes recipe isn’t already a favorite of yours, then it should be. And now you have another new favorite pancake recipe. These pumpkin pancakes are not too sweet, so they are great paired with jam, pear butter or maple syrup.
Makes: 8-10 pancakes
Preparation time: 20m
Cooking time: 20m
Total time: 50m
- 9.3 ounces all purpose flour
- 0.3 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk or unsweetened milk substitute (I like to use almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (or pumpkin pie spice)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Equipment: kitchen scale, 2 large bowls
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, wheat germ, flax seed, cardamom, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix the pumpkin puree, milk, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Then slowly drizzle in the butter while whisking to temper the batter so the eggs do not cook prematurely.
- Dump the dry mixture onto the wet mixture and with a fork, wooden spoon or pancake whisk, stir about 30 times. Then stop. There will be lumps. It is ok. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to swell. It should be nice and thick. Make sure all the dry bits get wet, but don’t stir until the lumps are gone.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan. If using a griddle, grease it with a little butter.
- Ladle one pancake at a time. Cooking time will depend on how large you make them. Once you can see little bubbles forming around the edges and in the center you can use a pancake turner to check the bottom. Once they are golden brown flip them over and cook a couple of minutes on the other side until cooked all the way through and golden brown on the outside.
- Serve warm with your favorite pancake toppings. I like fresh fruit, plain yogurt, pear butter, and toasted almonds and coconut.