When I first made this recipe I was sure I was going to have to replace the cheese with some other ingredient like nutritional yeast. However, I tried it and realized that by taking out the cheese you really taste the fresh basil! I found that I didn’t miss the cheese at all. This sauce is great over your favorite pasta, gnocchi or steamed vegetables.
Makes: 1 cup
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 5m
- 2 cups fresh basil (packed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Use as a sauce over gnocchi and veggies in my recipe:INLINE-LINK-START title="Pestoed Veggies and Gnocchi" href="../../../recipes/pestoed-veggies-and-gnocchi"> Pestoed Veggies and Gnocchi INLINE-LINK-END